Sunday, May 17, 2009

Anxious

I've always been navigationally challenged. It runs in my family. On a drive to Orlando several months ago, I found myself in a familiar situation. I suddenly felt as though I had missed my exit. I was unsure of my surroundings and, Google map in hand, growing increasingly uncomfortable. It had been a ridiculously long trip. I was tired of driving and more than ready to be at my destination.

I maneuvered my way into the right lane preparing to turn around at the next exit when I saw it: a big green sign announcing Orlando was 8 miles away.

God spoke to me. "You do that all the time," He said. "You always get anxious for the intersection."

It was a loving, convicting prompt. Its true. I do that all the time. I feel like I've been on this road too long and start getting anxious. Just when I think that I must have messed up somehow, God shows me a sign that I'm on the right track and I'm getting closer to what He has next for me. What lies ahead is going to be great! But I still have 8 miles (or so) to go.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:6-7

...but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Phil 3:13-14


Keep going. Don't be anxious. Press on.

No comments: